When processing a payment to an honoraria, guest lecturers/speakers, human subjects, refund to a non UC employee and other one time service payments to individuals you will need to locate Special Request on BruinBuy. Payments to corporations and companies are not one time payments. For those payments you will need to request an invoice from the vendor and set the vendor up on the Vendor File. This chapter will instruct you on processing a Special Request Requisition using both Resident and Non Resident examples.
Object code 7900 is for Honoraria Only. Object code 3345 is for Guest Lecturer/Speaker/Panelists. Please refrain from mixing the two together since this will delay the payment.
When processing a paperless transaction, enter as much detail information for the payee and for audit purposes: Who, What, Where and Why. For example:
Guest Speaker fee for Spencer Bruin on "Human Genetics" for the Annual Human Biology Conference on September 10, 2007 located at Bruin Conference Center.
Object code: 3345 Class Code N
Honorarium payment for distinguished professor Willow Bruin for "Technology for the Future Expo" at the Bruin Conference Center on September 12, 2007.
Object code: 7900 Class Code X (or N can be used)
You will also need to check "Y" for description on check, this way the payee will know what the payment covers.
Payments to non residents for tax purposes cannot be paperless and require the alien documentation in order to be processed.
3. Completed Alien documents along with BruinBuy PO number are then mailed to:
Mike Sattin Payroll Office 10920 Wilshire Ctr Ste 620 141648
1. Logon to BruinBuy
2. Look under Ordering Processing and click on Special Request/Non Catalog
3. The Special Request/Non Catalog Screen will appear and you are ready to enter your information.
4. Enter the following information:
5. After entering in your information, Click the Save icon (red arrow) to save your information. You will then need to click on the One Time Payee (yellow arrow).
6. Enter the following information:
NOTE: For all foreign addresses the State and Zip code fields should be blank and the appropriate Country Code should be entered into the Country field.
7. When completed, click on Save/Close button, this will return you to your Special Request order.
8. Once you are back at the Special Request web page, you will then need to add additional information prior to completing the requisition. Locate and click on the Additional Info:
Note: This web page gives you the following options: Receiving Required, Delivery date, Required date, Mail Check to Dept, Check to Dept Code, Attn Name, Doc to AP, 1099 Flag, 1099 code and FOB code.
At the Additional Information screen , you will need to add the following for those payments that are reportable income such as panelists, honoraria, guest speakers and lecturers. You will need to check:
Once the information has been added, click on Save icon to save the information and return to the Special Request Requisition.
9. Once you are back at the Special Request, you need to rename your Shopping Cart to identify the Shopping Cart for future use. To do this you will need to clear the information and type in the new name.
10. Once you have rename the requisition, you will need to click on the SAVE icon. Your information has now been saved and you are ready to complete the order.
11. To complete this, click on the SUBMIT icon.
12. Once you have submitted the requisition, BruinBuy will display Requisition successfully submitted with your BruinBuy PO number.
The instructions below are for the foreign non resident aliens, who require documents in order to be processed and paid by the University. Following the same instructions as listed above but you will need the payee's SSN or ITIN. If the payee does not have either, they may apply for ITIN with Tax Services or Payroll Office.
For Non Resident aliens you will need the following:
Note: Non resident alien payments are not paperless and require Documents to Accounts Payable/Payroll Office.
3. Enter the following information:
NOTE: Foreign addresses do not have state or zip codes. Please leave them blank. The foreign postal code is on the same line as the city. Example: CITY: Vancouver BC 1XT 6R9 State: Blank Zip Code: Blank Country : Canada
4. Click on additional information.
5. Name your Shopping Cart to identify the Shopping Cart for future use. To do this you will need to clear the information in the Shopping Cart Name field and type in the new name.
6. Once you have added the New Shopping Cart Name (Yellow arrow) click on Save icon ( Red arrow) to save your information.
7. To submit your requisition, Click on the Submit Icon (Red arrow) to complete this transaction.
Your order has been successfully completed!
8. You will need to send the documents with this BruinBuy PO number to Payroll Office Attention Mike Sattin for approval process. Please paper clip the documents together and write the BruinBuy PO number on the top right corner of the documents. Payroll upon approval will route the documents to Accounts Payable to process the payment.
Last Updated 1 August 2011